Hypothalamic amenorrhoea is a condition in which the body suppresses the production of the hormone oestrogen. This can lead to a wide range of problems, including absent periods, fertility problems, and an increased risk of brittle bones and heart disease.
FHA is usually related to a combination of factors, including psychological stress, excessive physical activity, and low body weight.
Women who are diagnosed with FHA are usually told to gain weight and stop exercising. A lot of women feel confused around how much to eat or what to eat to gain weight in a healthy way. Quitting exercise cold turkey can also be too stressful.
In addition to emotional challenges of bringing your period back, lots of women with FHA also have to contend with underlying digestive issues and food intolerances that may have contributed to the condition in the first place. For many women, these digestive problems can make the process of weight restoration much harder. This can lead to fatigue, food-related anxiety and further weight loss.
I will support you to overcome these obstacles by providing you with science-based information and individualised advice on diet and lifestyle. Together, we will identify the changes that are needed to improve your health and recover your periods. I also offer ongoing support and motivation, so you can stay on track even when things gets tough.
What we can achieve working together:
- Increase your confidence in nourishing yourself well
- Set you on a path for recovering your periods and ovulation (important for fertility)
- Get the balance between feeling ‘tired and wired’
- Improve digestive symptoms
- Feel OK about being more flexible around food and exercise
Hypothalamic Amenorrhoea (loss of periods that is not caused by disease or structural problem) can lead to a wide range of problems, including absent periods, fertility problems, and an increased risk of brittle bones and heart disease. We will explore the reasons why your periods went missing, and provide you with the tools that will help you restore your menstrual cycle. Here's a glimpse into some of the common themes we often explore:
- physical and psychological stress on the menstrual cycle
- your ideal weight range
- the relationship between body weight/body fat mass and menstrual cycle
- energy availability and your hormones
- the macronutrients and meal patterns
- vitamins and minerals
- digestive complaints and intolerances
- a healthy way to restore your menstrual cycles